2 of our youth theatre groups were scheduled to perform in ‘Beneath the Surface’ by James Beagon & ‘Caravan Crush’ by Catherine Expósito at the Traverse Theatre on June 12th and 13th. These shows have been indefinitely postponed due to Covid-19, this has had a huge impact on our financial situation. If you are able to help by donating please click the PayPal button above.
Find out more about these shows in this wee film and read on about the rest of our work below…
Established in 2008, Strange Town is an Edinburgh-based performing arts charity for 5-25 year olds that fosters creativity, nurtures talent, and increases access to theatre opportunities for young people of all backgrounds. Our artistic focus is creating and presenting new plays by emerging playwrights.
Our work covers several areas-
– Youth Theatre (8-18 year olds)- working with 150 young people weekly. Performing Improv and New Writing in venues such as the Scottish Storytelling Centre and the Traverse Theatre.
– Young Company (18-25 year olds)- providing masterclasses and performance opportunities.
– After-School Drama, classes for 5 –12 year olds, delivered in 10 Edinburgh primary schools.
– Theatre for Young Audiences, socially relevant plays performed in secondary schools.
– Agency for young actors aged 5 – 25, providing professional opportunities in film, TV and theatre.
– Employment Opportunities for young adults including early-career directors, writers, designers, stage managers.
Download our review of the year to see what we achieved in 2019:
The impact of COVID-19 is a critical threat to Strange Town and to the livelihoods of all those who work in the arts. Most of Strange Town’s funding comes from people taking part in our activities and coming to see our performances. Without this the vast majority of our income is gone.
We are determined to survive, to retain our dedicated team, and to get our activities back on track as soon as possible.